I trained at University College London Medical School, achieving a 1st Class BSc in Medical Humanities and graduating with Distinction in Final MBBS (2008). My Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Training was at the world-renowned Tavistock and Portman NHS Trust. Here I was awarded a Higher Degree in Systemic Therapy (distinction).
I completed a prestigious “Darzi Fellowship” and a Postgraduate Certificate in Healthcare Leadership at Great Ormond Street Hospital (GOSH).
I have been honoured to win a number of National Awards, including the Royal College of Psychiatrists Core Trainee of the Year, 2012 and Higher Trainee of the Year, 2017. I was The Health Service Journal (HSJ) Rising Star Award Finalist in 2015.
I have been a Consultant Psychiatrist since 2017 and became an elected member of the Royal College of Psychiatrists CAMHS faculty in 2020.
First and foremost, I am passionate about working therapeutically, combining psychodynamic and systemic principles to my work with young people and their families. My particular interests include depression and anxiety, and the interplay between physical and mental health difficulties.
Below you can find information on my MEDIA WORK, and PUBLICATIONS:
In 2017, I gave a Radio4 “1:1 interview” with broadcaster Julia Bradbury, as part of her series on Emotionally Challenging Work. It was chosen as pick of the week and can be heard here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b088fch1
I regularly speak out about the historic lack of funding and resources in mental health. Embedded here is an Interview from the BBC news on the lack of inpatient mental health beds for <18s:
Copies of these (where not uploaded to the website) are available on request – please message via the Contact page.
Book / Chapter Publications:
- Child and Adolescent Psychiatry (Hindley P & Conn R) So You Want to be a Brain Surgeon? A medical careers guide 4th ed. Oxford University Press (in Press)
- Chapter Editor Emotions and Behaviour of Lissauer’s Illustrated Textbook of Paediatrics 5th edition (2017)
- Lead Author of “Psychiatry: Breaking the ICE”, a textbook for trainees in psychiatry – Blackwells Publishers (2016) ISBN: 9781118557266
- Chapter Co-Author: “Medicinema: Doctors in the Movies” by Brian Glasser. Radcliffe Publishing Ltd (2010) ISBN: 1846191572
Publications in Peer Reviewed Journals:
- Venkataraman A, Conn R, Cotton R, Abraham S, Banaghan M, Bridget C, Callaghan B Multidisciplinary Staff Perspectives on Safety Huddles – Do Huddles Improve Communication and Patient Safety? (Journal of Patient Safety and Quality Improvement, 2018)
- Bulwer C, Conn R, Shankar A, Ferrau F, Kapur S, Ederies A, Korbonits M, Spodeas H Cabergoline Related Impulse Control Disorder in an Adolescent with Giant Prolactinoma (Clinical Endocrinology, 2017)
- Conn R, Monsell A, Bruce H How to communicate with children & young people in distress Student BMJ (April 2017)
- Kowalski C, Conn R Medical students’ perceptions of the use of feature films to teach the mental state examination BMJ Simulation & Technology (Jan 2017)
- Abdallah N, Conn R, Latif Marini A. Improving physical health monitoring for patients with chronic mental health problems who receive antipsychotic medications. BMJ Quality Improvement Reports 2016
- Conn, R, Akers, E, Bali, A Multi-professional clinical leadership training in healthcare: A peer-led evaluation of the experience and benefits of the Darzi Fellowship International Journal of Public Leadership Vol. 12 No. 4, 2016 pp. 317-335
- Conn, R, Bhugra, D. The Portrayal of Autism in Hollywood Film International Journal of Culture & Mental Health Vol 5, Issue 1, April 2012, pg 54-62
- Conn, R, Berry, P The Decision to Engage in End-of-Life Discussions: A Structured Approach for Doctors in Training– Clinical Medicine Oct 2010, Vol 10, No 5: 468–71
- Srirajaskanthan R, Conn R, Bulwer C, Irving P. The Glasgow-Blatchford scoring system enables accurate risk stratification of patients with upper gastrointestinal haemorrhage International Journal of Clinical Practice Vol 64, No 7, June 2010, pp. 868-874(7)
- Conn, R The Intentional Brain, Michael R. Trimble, John Hopkins University Press 2016 ISBN: 978-1421419497 British Journal of Psychiatry (April 2017)
- Conn, R The Complete CBT Guide for Anxiety Shafran, Brosnan & Cooper – Psychiatric Bulletin (2013)37: 278
- Conn, R Psychiatry by Neel Burton. International Journal of Culture & Mental Health, 2012 Vol 5, Issue 1, April 2012, pg 73-74
- Conn, R Mary & Max Journal of Medical Humanities (BMJ) 2011;37:64-65
- Conn, R Adam Psychiatric Bulletin (2010)34: 77
- Conn, R & Bulwer, C Cassandra (Royal Opera House) BMJ: Journal of Medical Humanities Online Blog, Dec 2014
- Conn R, Bulwer C Thinking Together – a grass-roots project addressing an analogous experience of training issues in CAMHS and Paediatrics British Journal of Psychiatry, E-letter, February 2017
- Conn R The role of Paediatric Mental Health Liaison teamsBritish Journal of Psychiatry, E-letter, March 2016
- Shine, A, Conn, R, Davids, Z Exposure to acute child psychiatry presentations for core psychiatristsPsychiatric Bulletin (2014)38:138
- Conn R, Cavanna, A A Meeting Point for Neurology and Psychiatry? Psychiatric Bulletin (2013)37: 147-148
- Conn, R, Husain, M. Trainees want to work out of hours!Psychiatric Bulletin (2013)37: 117
- Aref-Adib G, Kowalski C, Conn R E-interview: Dr Kamran Ahmed Psychiatric Bulletin (2012)36
- Conn, R Finding a Cure for Mental Health Services The Medical Student April 2016
- Conn, R The Best Tribute to Robin Williams? – Ask if you’re doing all you can to combat stigma Aug 2014
- Conn R, Seeing the Season’s Hidden Sadness BMA Christmas Blog Dec 2012
- Conn, R, Kindness suffers as the capacity for fellow feeling recedes – Schwartz Rounds: a revolution in compassionate care British Medical Journal, Quality Blog June 2015
- Conn, R Interview with Dr Sebastian Kraemer RCPsych London Div. Newsletter July 2015
- Conn, R Picture Imperfect? Psychiatric illness in film and its influence on public understanding The Registrar, April 2013
- Conn R, Price G, Joyce IConversion Disorder Clinic: A Twelve Month Evaluation Neuropsychiatry News, Winter 2012
- Conn R, Twilight Recruitment Evening London Div. Newsletter, Summer 2012
- Conn, R, MedFest London Div. Newsletter, Winter 2012
- Conn, R, Kowalski C, Bulwer C Medfest 2012 The Registrar, 2012